Sidney Health Center - Exceptional Care for Life
Billing/Payment • About Us • Contact Us
facebook YouTube
Home Services Medical Providers Patients and Visitors Newborns News Events Careers
About Us
 

History

The first Sidney Hospital started in May of 1907 and was located in the home of William M. Meadors, where Mrs. Meadors cared for patients. A year prior to that, Dr. R.A. Morrill was appointed by the governor to serve as physician for the construction crews on the Lower Yellowstone Irrigation project because of his knowledge of typhoid fever.

Dr. John S. Beagle originally came to the area in 1909 and opened his first office above the Yellowstone Mercantile. A few years later he acquired the Northey House, which became the first Sidney hospital. Limited space allowed for only five to six beds. Soon the quarters became inadequate and the location moved back to the Meadors Home.

At that time, plans to build a larger hospital originated. In 1916, the new 30-bed hospital opened its doors as the Sidney Hospital located at 221 5th St SW. This hospital also served as a nurse’s training school.

In 1919, management transferred to the Deaconess Association of the Methodist Church. It operated under this name until 1946, when it was reorganized as a non-profit, non-sectarian institution and was named the Community Memorial Hospital.

In 1946 and 1950, the community funded expansion projects. Individuals and groups in the area dedicated funds to cover expenses of identified areas including patient and waiting rooms.

As Sidney started to outgrow its medical facilities, a drive for a new hospital began in 1966. The new complex was completed in 1970, at the cost of $1,500,000. With additions to the facility in the 1980s and 1990s, the building continues to provide medical services to the residents of Eastern Montana.

In 1996, Community Memorial Hospital merged with Richland Homes and became one non-profit entity under the current name of Sidney Health Center. The campus includes a 25-bed hospital, 93-bed extended care facility, retail pharmacy and clinic area with several suites. This complete range of healthcare services can be attributed to our forefathers, who demonstrated philanthropic and progressive spirits in their vision of rural healthcare.

2008 – The newly constructed surgery addition (including two operating rooms, a procedure room, a recovery area, ten outpatient rooms, a nurses’ station and a family waiting area), dietary services area and volunteer gift shop open in the fall of 2008.

In February 2010, Sidney Health Center completed the construction on inpatient rooms on the medical-surgical wing. Designed for private use, the rooms are modeled to accommodate inpatients and their families. The intensive care unit was relocated to a larger area that features three private bays with a central nursing station and private family waiting area.

In January 2011, Sidney Health Center expanded its cancer care services to include radiation therapy with the addition of a newly constructed vault and cancer suite. The first of its kind in Montana, Sidney Health Center installed a TomoTherapy Hi-Art radiation treatment system, which is one of the most advanced cancer treatment systems in the area.

In May 2012, Sidney Health Center broke ground on Phase II of its Cancer Center. Upon completion of the project, all outpatient cancer care services will be centralized, enhancing and streamlining patient care for those going through treatment. The renovation includes a private entrance, adding four chemotherapy and IV therapy infusion rooms with a centralized nursing station as well as providing designated clinic space for the medical oncologist.

Historical Timeline

The detailed timeline of the past 100+ years outlines the evolution of the Sidney Hospital from a small home-based hospital to a progressive rural healthcare system with a vision for the future.


- 1906

Dr. R.A. Morrill was appointed by the governor to serve as a physician for the construction crews on the Lower Yellowstone Irrigation project because of his knowledge of typhoid fever

- 1907

First Sidney Hospital started in May, located in the home of William M. Meadors

- 1911

The Northey House was acquired to be the second Sidney Hospital (only 5-6 beds)

- 1913

Meadors home was re-rented after it was remodeled and enlarged to contain a small but adequate surgery, private rooms with a bath, and a main ward plus office and kitchen.

- 1916

Construction completed and 30-Bed Hospital opens on Alberta Street

- 1919

Methodist Episcopal Church bought the hospital and the Sidney Hospital became the Sidney Deaconess Hospital

- 1939

Sidney Deaconess Hospital became Community Memorial Hospital with a 37-bed capacity

- 1946

Community Memorial Hospital became a non-profit, non-sectarian institution known as Community Memorial Hospital of Richland County Dr. John E. Low –first hospital administrator Nels Bach - first board president

- 1956

Area residents gathered to discuss the area’s need for improved housing for the elderly

- 1961

Richland Homes officially opened on July 1, 1961, to a “limited number of elderly residents of the area” according to the June 28 Sidney Herald

- 1960s

Residents began fund raising to build a new hospital

- 1966

Inaugurated in September 1966, volunteers raised about $250,000 for the hospital’s construction

- 1969

Construction began on 14th Avenue of Community Memorial Hospital

- 1970

Doors opened on the new hospital at 14th Avenue Southwest under the leadership of Hospital Administrator C. Gregg McKown and Board President Otto Habedank

- 1972

Richland Homes was remodeled and ten more beds were added, along with a nurse’s station, resident lounge and a large chapel

- 1985

Community Health Fitness Center (Healthworks) was created to aid in the rehabilitation of patients. The idea was conceived by Dr. Jimmie Ashcraft, who also was responsible for the center’s fundraising effort.

- 1991

Richland Homes demolished two of the original wings and reconstructed them into new locations, adding eight more beds to the facility, for a total of 93 beds.

- 1996

Community Memorial Hospital merged with Richland Homes and became Sidney Health Center

- 2000

The Lodge at Lone Tree Creek, an assisted living facility managed by Sidney Health Center, opened August 2nd.

- 2006

Construction began on outpatient/inpatient surgery suite addition at Sidney Health Center.

- 2008

The newly constructed surgery addition (including two operating rooms, a procedure room, a recovery area, ten outpatient rooms, a nurses’ station and a family waiting area), dietary services area and volunteer gift shop open in the fall of 2008.

- 2010

In February 2010, Sidney Health Center completed the construction on inpatient rooms on the medical-surgical wing. Designed for private use, the rooms are modeled to accommodate inpatients and their families. The intensive care unit was relocated to a larger area that features three private bays with a central nursing station and private family waiting area.

- 2011

In January 2011, Sidney Health Center expanded its cancer care services to include radiation therapy with the addition of a newly constructed vault and cancer suite. The first of its kind in Montana, Sidney Health Center installed a TomoTherapy Hi-Art radiation treatment system, which is one of the most advanced cancer treatment systems in the area.

- 2012

In May 2012, Sidney Health Center broke ground on Phase II of its Cancer Center. Upon completion of the project, all outpatient cancer care services will be centralized, enhancing and streamlining patient care for those going through treatment. The renovation includes a private entrance, adding four chemotherapy and IV therapy infusion rooms with a centralized nursing station as well as providing designated clinic space for the medical oncologist.

 
About Us
About Us
Service Directory
Management Directory
Membership Info
Leadership
Facilities and Locations
• History
Community Health Assessment & Implementation Plan
 
© 2014 Sidney Health Center   •   216 14th Avenue Southwest   •   Sidney, MT   •   59270   •   (406) 488-2100

Sidney Health Center Cancer Center Extended Care The Lodge HealthWorks Foundation for Community Care